Car accidents can happen at any time. Studies show that most people are involved in car accidents when they are less than five miles from home.
There are many potential causes of a car accident: speeding, traffic gridlock, negligence, recklessness and unsafe driving are just a few. A car wreck can also occur where you may least expect it: on side streets and in parking lots.
The Lafayette Louisiana car accident lawyers at Gaar Law Firm have experience litigating many types of car accident claims. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your accident and legal options, please contact us online.
Common Car Accidents
We represent individuals who have been injured in all types of car accidents, including:
- Rear-end collisions — These types of traffic accidents are often caused by sudden deceleration (slowing down or braking). In some cases, another driver is following too closely or accelerates to a higher speed than the car in front of it. Whiplash is a common injury that occurs in a rear-end collision and usually affects drivers and passengers of the impacted car. Fault is usually attributed to the driver of the car that rear-ends the other vehicle.
- Side-impact collisions — Side-impact collisions can cause grave injuries. Often called "T-bone" or "broadside" collisions, side-impact accidents occur when the side of a vehicle is hit. It can be impacted by the front or rear of another vehicle or in some cases a fixed object. Vehicle damage is often severe and drivers or passengers on the impacted side of the vehicle usually sustain far worse injuries than they would in another type of crash.
- Sideswipe collisions — Sideswipe collisions occur when two cars that are parallel touch. In many cases, the damage is only minor, as the cars have just "swiped" each other. Injuries and damages are typically minimal, unless one of the drivers loses control of the vehicle as a result of the collision.
- Vehicle rollover — Vehicle rollover accidents are extremely dangerous and frightening. A rollover occurs when a vehicle literally flips over onto its side or roof. Any vehicle can be involved in a rollover accident, but cars with a high center of gravity such as SUVs (sport utility vehicles) are especially prone to this type of accident. Often caused by sharp turns at high speed, rollover accidents can lead to serious injuries, including spinal cord injuries and brain trauma.
- Head-on collisions — These types of collisions are often fatal. Head-on collisions are exactly what they sound like — they occur when the front ends of two vehicles impact each other.
- Single-car accidents — Accidents involving only one vehicle are also common. They occur when a vehicle strikes an object such as a pole, a tree, a fire hydrant or a wall. In some cases, they may involve pedestrians and other innocent bystanders. Single-car collisions can result in driver and passenger injuries, pedestrian injuries, and often extensive property damage.
- Multivehicle collisions — Multivehicle collisions are sometimes referred to as "pile-ups" and often occur on busy roads such as highways and freeways. They can involve many vehicles and be the most dangerous. Vehicles can be impacted multiple times and it may be difficult to escape. It is also difficult to determine fault in these cases.
- Hit-and-run accidents — An accident where one driver leaves the scene is known as a hit-and-run accident. It can be very difficult to determine the identity of the driver or vehicle.
When Do You Need a Lafayette Car Accident Attorney?
Depending on your case and the severity of your injuries and damages, motor vehicle accidents can involve complex litigation. Trying to handle your own car accident claim nearly always results in lower compensation for your property damages and personal injuries, and insurance companies do not always act in your best interest.
Contact Us to Schedule a Free Consultation
At Gaar Law Firm, our Lafayette car accident attorneys understand not just the rules of the road in Louisiana and the special duties imposed on commercial and public carriers, but also the complex scientific and engineering principles necessary to unravel just how a motor vehicle accident occurred.
Contact our experienced personal injury attorneys for a free initial consultation to talk about your car accident case and learn more about our services.